- The gentle hills of north-east Portugal
- Old villages and older ways of life
- Ancient paved footpaths and the Via Romana
- Lindoso Castle above the lake
- The view from the terrace of the Restaurant Abocanhado
- The Pousada Santa Maria do Bouro
- Historic Porto, the Port lodges and the Douro (add-on)
WE RECOMMEND: Upgrade your dinner experience at Casa de Emaus (night 6) to sample a special 3-course dinner with local wines @ £8 per person. If you would like to sample even better wines whilst in Emaus, this is also possible for an extra supplement, payable locally.
Leave enough time in your holiday to spend a couple of nights in the unique city of Porto, home to the Port lodges along the Douro. This is well done at the beginning of the holiday as public transport works best from here.
EATING AND DRINKING: One of the joys of Northern Portugal is the warmth of the welcome you'll receive from your hosts. The food is hearty and wholesome and we can guarantee that you'll find it hard to lose weight on this walk. Try Caldo Verde soup, the ubiquitous bacalhau and beef from the barrosã cow. Eggs, honey and almonds also feature in many of the lovely puddings and cakes you'll sample during your stay.